Wednesday 5 October 2011

Halloween look: Ghost

Halloween is deffinately my favorite time of the year make-up wise as people can let all their creativity show on the outside with costumes, hair, make-up, create absolutely bizarre or absolutely genius looks with their own twist and just for a night forget themselves in the whirlwind of the imaginary, historic or scary silhouettes.

The top tip from me, whatever You choose to go as, is to create a story in Your head about the character You are going to choose. What does it feel, what does it think, where is it from and why? As You let Your imagination flow, the costume will create itself with it's unique little features and additions, creating something absolutely unique and unseen. 


So, here's the 2nd look from me - a lonely, neglected ghost. She's been around for centuries, her sad eyes telling a story of what once happened. The effect I tried to achieve with make-up is the illusion of her slowly fading away, the skin is so transluscent the features of the skull have started to show through.
Once again, this look is all about shading and higlighting, no essential details really, just a lot of blending and precise placement of color. Here's a better shot of the shadow placement:


And yes, I did the pictures in my bathroom as the lights are so much better there and the pictures turned out much more clear, so ignore the tiles and the occasional tap haha

Here's top tips to create this look:

  • Start with a clean base, make sure there's no foundation or tinted primer on Your face as it is most likely to mix with the white greasepaint You'll be applying. No introductions needed now, use a white greasepaint. It will be much more pigmented and thick than most facepaints bought at costume stores etc. and last You through the night (You don't want Your MU to go patchy) I used Kryolan Supracolor in White.  I would suggest to pat it in the skin with a sponge instead of blending or using a buffing brush as this is not about covering the skin with a thick layer - we want to create a fragile porcelain effect.
  • Use a grayish-mauve matte color for shading - I used an Estee Lauder one from a quad that's long been discontinued, but it was something like this Wild Sable one with a mauve and berry kick to it. Shade the hollows of Your cheeks making all the deeper parts the darkest, chin, forehead, etc. Just follow the natural lines of Your face for the best effect that will work only for You. Dip Your brush in a light blue or gray pigment to help blend the dark color in.
  • Create the eyeshape as seen in the pic - think of the way the hollows of eyes look on a skull. Use a black eyeshadow to draw in the deepest parts, then blend with the same color You used to shade the face.
  • When that's done, finish off by blending a pearly white shadow everywhere else to create a glow that I imagine a beautiful ghost would have - It will catch the light, create a nice contrast and create a halo effect as if You're about to dissolve in the background on the face.
  • Use baby powder in Your hair and add a few plastic spiders, accesories or whatever You feel like depending on the story and background You imagine for this characted. The sky's the limit! (how ironic for a ghost look, haha)


 Hope You found this atleast a bit helpful, Lots of love,
S
xoxoxo

20 comments:

  1. Pretty amazing makeup-you definitely achieved the proper ghost look! I'm trying this out if I choose to go ghoulish for Halloween
    Thanks for stopping by my blog-you should definitely try to see 'what's my number' if you can!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually terrifying! Perfect for Halloween. I've been trying to think of something to dress up as so might give this a go! Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog :) xx

    www.a-place-for-beauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halloween is one of my favorite times during the year as well. These is such a creative look. thanks for the sweet comment about my dress. I worked really hard on it :)

    erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, this is such cool makeup!

    Dont forget to enter my $50 La Posh Style giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. most scary Halloween look i have ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This look is so awesome! You're so good with your blending. I have to admit I would be a little scared if I saw someone with this look on Halloween! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome reincarnation.

    Lots of love from Sydney,

    x Kel

    playing tall poppy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing! Yet scary at the same time haha. I love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazzzzing!!! I love the spiders in the hair, such a good touch!



    http://lovefayexoxo.blogspot.com/


    LoveFaye xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's sooooo sweet. I love love this look. Reminds me of the Corpse bride.

    Take care,
    Rosamond

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great tutorial. the look is so convincing! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing make up - I wish I could do something like that for Halloween. You are really talented and have pretty features! Your blog is lovely and I am a new follower! Hope you will like my blog and follow back!

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome work girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just started following... your halloween looks are exceptional! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank You so much for all the sweet comments! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just stumbled across your blog, and was a little scared of the first photo! But then after browsing I saw how purdy you are!
    Love these halloween faces! Very talented.x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tagged you in my latest blog too <3

    http://lovefayexoxo.blogspot.com/

    LoveFaye xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your sweet comment Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG! Love this! You really convey the sorrow of the ghost, and you are so in character!

    ReplyDelete